[games_access] Fw: Does This Font Truly Help Dyslexic Readers to Read? > (Barrie Ellis)

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Mon Oct 8 19:54:22 EDT 2012

> This is interesting! I'm not sure the OpenDyslexic font would help me
> or not but I'll have to experiment around with it. It seemed hard to
> look at for me but then again I'm so used to other fonts. I'm dyslexic
> (whole word mix up, spelling errors, word addition or subtraction are
> the things that get me to describe things very broadly) but I didn't
> get diagnosed until after high school. And now I have a doctorate. ;)
>
> One thing that has helped me much more recently is eReaders -- I can
> adjust the font size, kerning, etc. I've always been a super avid
> reader despite everything but I think that was the luck of my brain
> adapting itself.
>
> Anyway, I want to try this out on an eReader or eReading software! :)

If it works well for you (it sounds like it may not have been all
that great from your cursory review), several browsers allow you to
force the font of your preference, so you could even override *all*
text the browser renders (modulo text-as-images and text in
Flash/Silverlight/Java apps) with your font preferences.  In
FireFox, after you've set your font preferences, you can override
with the "browser.display.use_document_fonts"[1] setting in
about:config, setting it to "0".  I'm pretty sure other browsers
offer similar behaviors.

-tkc

[1]
I have this option set to 0 because there are so many sites with
bad/unreadable font choices out there.