[games_access] "Shaking Things Up: Can full-body games become more.accessible"

Lynsey Graham lgraham at blitzgamesstudios.com
Sat Oct 20 04:35:35 EDT 2012

I agree 100%, but from my understanding, in the case of Kinect games there's quite often a lot of pressure from the publisher NOT to have alternate controls, because of trying to promote the Kinect hardware and it's capabilities. In the early days of Kinect development, we were explicitly told that the first run of Kinect games shouldn't be playable sitting down, because of a) wanting to promote it as a 'more active' method of controlling games and B) wanting to show off the full body detection.

The silliest thing is that quite often many Kinect games DO have alternate pad/keyboard controls, used by the dev staff - quite often it's impractical for everyone to use Kinect due to the space requirements, so a lot of the time it's only the designers (who need to ensure the feel of the game is correct) and the coders working on Kinect detection (who need to make test it's working as planned) who use the cameras. The debug alternate controls get removed for final release.

Sent from my iPad