[games_access] AbleGamers Foundation Declared Finalist in MS Society Da Vinci Awards for Game Accessibility Guidelines

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:35:00 EDT 2013

Good stuff and good luck! - Out of curiosity - I don't quite understand the "smash together two completely different viewpoints " part. What does that mean?

Barrie

                              AbleGamers Foundation Declared Finalist in MS Society Da Vinci Awards for Game Accessibility Guidelines

                              AbleGamers Informational Document Includification is a 2013 da Vinci Award finalist with a chance to go on and win the Leo award for accessibility excellence.

                              Harpers Ferry, WV – March 20, 2013–AbleGamers is excited to announce Includification-- our 48 page fully illustrated game accessibility guidelines for developers to make games more accessible-- is now a finalist in the Multiple Sclerosis Society da Vinci awards.

                              “Words cannot express how proud I am of the work we put into Includification and how it turned out,” said Mark Barlet, President and Founder of the AbleGamers Foundation. “We really poured our hearts and souls into that document. It has decades of research and personal experience pointing out everything developers can do to assist gamers with disabilities in a cost effective and practical manner. The document turned out beautifully and so many studios have been incredibly thankful for its inception.”

                              “We are honored to be a da Vinci finalist,” he continued. “AbleGamers would love to go on and win the Leo, if enough people vote for us, but simply being selected as one of the three finalists is a tremendous honor.”

                              “Includification was a complete labor of love,” said Steve Spohn, Community Outreach Chair of the AbleGamers Foundation. “Being disabled gamers ourselves, we understood the problems from the standpoint of a gamer who happens to have a disability, and our 10 years of experience in the game industry allowed us to smash together two completely different viewpoints into one spectacular document everyone can learn from.”

                              In order to go on and win the Leo, AbleGamers must mobilize a large number of public votes. Those who would like to vote for the organization to win can do so by liking our video on YouTube.

                              About The AbleGamers Foundation

                              The AbleGamers Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public charity that runs AbleGamers.com, which provides news and reviews on the accessibility of mainstream video game titles, as well as consultation on assistive technology.  As an alternative to Serious Gaming, mainstream video games supply many disabled individuals and veterans with rehabilitation as well as social stimulation in situations where they may be otherwise shut out of society's idea of normal everyday life.

                              ###

                              For more information about this topic, the AbleGamers Foundation, AbleGamers.com, or to schedule an interview with Mark Barlet, President of AbleGamers, call Steve Spohn at (703) 891-9017 ext:101 ext. 101 or email press at AbleGamers.com.

--
Steve Spohn
Editor-In-Chief