[games_access] XBox One reception on twitter

John R. Porter jrporter at uw.edu
Wed May 22 11:08:34 EDT 2013

As I see a lot of these tweets and articles passing through, a great many
of them come off as somewhat preemptively alarmist to me. People are, in
many cases, talking about the new Kinect as a controller-killer, but that's
improbable to the degree of being completely moot. By its nature, its never
going to be as efficient as a traditional controller for a lot of games, so
developers will never be crazy enough to force its exclusive use.

Ultimately, the most likely long-term effect of forcing the Kinect hardware
to be ubiquitous is that games will start to embrace it more frequently for
*supplemental* interaction. It will be used in addition to, not in
replacement of, traditional controllers. Admittedly, this is still
potentially cause for concern among disabled gamers, but it will largely
depend on how these supplemental interactions manifest.

I don't see games requiring you to suddenly put down the controller and
start flailing around in the middle of a game very often, because that's
totally an immersion-breaking and inefficient bit of design. More likely,
we'll see more and more games using things like Mass Effect's squad voice
commands, and potentially (depending on hardware capabilities) things like
gaze tracking for menu navigation and targeting. The Kinect is so much more
than a tool that lets you play Dance Central, even though that paradigm
might have dominated the first generation of motion control. That certainly
doesn't mean it's all the technology has to offer, though.

Just my two cents...
-John

**

John R. Porter III