[games_access] Steering using haptic cues

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:35:51 EDT 2014

Self-driving vehicles have a large potential to improve the mobility of
blind people, but current legislation requires manual controls and a legal
driver to be present in the vehicle to take over in case of a malfunction.

In an attempt to develop a better understanding of how blind people could
drive a vehicle using non visual feedback my lab developed a simple haptic
steering interface. We used mostly game hardware (Sony Move + Logitech G27)
for our experiments but i'm sure we could further develop this into a
racing game.
Anyone interested see the video <http://youtu.be/Ewib8wzXrn4> or our paper
<http://eelke.com/files/pubs/blinddriving.pdf> which I will present next
week at ASSETS.

Let me know what you think.

Best Eelke

*Eelke Folmer* - Assoc.Professor HCI - Computer Science - University of
Nevada - http://eelke.com