[games_access] Looking for feedback

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:07:25 EDT 2015

The difficulty is relating sales to design considerations, as you have no way of knowing why someone bought a game.

And anything you learn before launch its only good for anecdotes rather than data, as even with beta releases the sample is too small and too skewed.

However, if your business model isn't based on upfront sales, if you're making money post-launch through IAPs etc it perfectly possible, through what you said about two versions of the game.

That's an existing technique, called A/B testing. You make two slight variations of a point release, only changing one very specific element (e.g. 3 lives in one version, 4 in the other) so you know that any differences in data only relate to that change. You can then look differences in IAP revenue between the two.

You need lots of data for it to have any significance, so you need a popular game with lots of players and a time investment too, but it gets you hard specific data.

Big F2P companies such as King have big teams of data scientists already collecting data like that, some of which would relate to decisions that are also useful for accessibility, but the data is commercially sensitive, they aren't going to want to share it publicly.

There's also the other thing you mentioned about tracking usage of individual features, which is easy. Again though the problem is relating it to money.

It is possible in certain circumstances though, when you're looking at it in terms of disability rather than general usefulness. Although there are exceptions, it's safe to say the majority of people who will play a game with a screen reader turned on would not be playing it if screen readers weren't supported. And on mobile, it's easy to track how many of your players have a screen reader turned on.

Solara did it, and discovered that their blind players played for much longer and spent far more on in app purchases than anyone else.

As did MUDRammer, the developer spent two days implementing screen reader support, and soon after he did, started tracking data and saw that 13% of his players were screen reader users (13 times higher than prevalence in the general population... As with Solara, experiencing the benefits of catering to underserved audiences!). He doesn't have a large player base, but at $5 per sale and two days to implement, he still made a more or less instant profit on his blind-accessibility work.

Even if you can't relate it to sales, the data is still valuable. For example tracking how many people play with subtitles turned on, how many people remap their controls, how many adjust individual volume levels independently, etc.

If you can demonstrate that a feature is used by a large number of players relative to how much effort it took to develop, that justifies it being higher priority in future games (and other people's future games too, if the data can be shared). Which means more chance if it being included, and more chance of it having decent time spent on it.

Ian