[games_access] Turtle Rock Studios shares accessibility info

Steve Spohn steve at ablegamers.com
Thu Jun 11 17:57:16 EDT 2015

Evolve misses the mark on accessibility. Having played the game, the list
is a bit deceptive. The mouse sensitivity is capped, and needs hacked in
order to be adjusted to the number of the individual's choosing. For people
with low vision the game is nearly unplayable, not only as monster. There
is button mashing-- you have to switch weapons rapidly depending on class
and character, more so with some than others. Some roles are much more
suited to those who have limited reaction time. The hearing impaired is at
a major disadvantage. Deaf gamers even more so.

I hope that game studios work closer with SpecialEffect and AbleGamers to
list detailed and accurate accessibility options.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Tara Voelker <tvoelker at igda-gasig.org>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Turtle Rock studios (where I now work) has decided to publicly share all
> our accessibility features on our own forum, proving easy access to anyone
> wanting to know what features we do and don't have.
>
> We have a post up for the last game we launched, Evolve, and plan to do it
> for all future titles.
>

> https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/evolve-game-accessibility-breakdown/61376
>
> What is really awesome is it's straight forward and we're upfront about
> areas that need improvement, like colorblind friendliness.
>
> We also note gameaccessibilityguidelines.com and use the Special Effect
> icon!
>
> Hopefully more AAA studios follow suit!
>
> Tara
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Steve Spohn

*Chief Operations Officer*

AbleGamers Charity
AbleGamers.com <http://www.ablegamers.com/> | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/ablegamers> | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/ablegamers>

Read the award-winning, critically acclaimed set of game accessibility
guidelines for developers to create mainstream games that are accessible to
*everyone*: Includification.com