[games_access] Appropriate Interfaces for Blind Gamers

Chad Philip Johnson chad at anacronist.com
Mon Feb 8 02:16:16 EST 2016

Hello all,

I was reading an article this evening on Gamasutra about the game /Ear
Monsters
/(http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrianSchmidt/20130617/194489/Making_Ear_Monsters_Developing_a_3D_Audio_Game.php).
The developer was making what he expected to be a straightforward
accessibility experience for blind gamers on smartphones and tablets.
Initial feedback was not as positive as he expected because he didn't
account for players that held the device in unconventional ways.  Here's
the relevant snippet:

/One other accessibility issue was reported by several blind players who
said that all the sounds were backwards; when they tapped on the right
side, they’d hear their attack from the left.  It turns out that the
code I’d added to detect orientation and flip the game—which,
ironically, I had added in specifically so that visually impaired gamers
would always have the correct orientation!— was too clever by half.  A
normal sighted player will typically hold their device in their hands,
with a tilt towards themselves.  And that’s how we tested Ear Monsters.
However, it turns out that many visually impaired players played the
game either laying their device on a flat table, or even in their laps,
with a slight tilt //*/away /*//from them.  In that case, the game would
frequently rotate itself away from the player, upside down. And when
they tried to turn around their device to fix it, it would rotate away
again!  That is also being addressed by fixing the orientation to one
specific landscape orientation, which is common for iOS games./

This reminded me of a blues-rock guitar player name Jeff Healey.  He
became blind in his infancy and then started learning music and the
guitar shortly afterwards.  He developed a highly unorthodox way of
holding and playing his instrument:  he would lay the guitar in his lap
and place his fingers in a downward position--not unlike pressing keys
on a piano.  The video in the following link shows how he accomplished
this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkOaTVu8uM.

Anyway, I noticed a correlation between the two and thought I would
throw that out there in case anybody else found it interesting. Perhaps
this is a more natural way for people to interface with input devices
that have flat surfaces.

--
Chad Philip Johnson
Anacronist Software