[games_access] Making Websites and Web Content Marked for Proper Accessibility especially for screen readers

Andreas Lopez andreas.lopez93 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:02:37 EDT 2016

I am just glad that the websites I built and am building as Webmaster are
pretty much 99% accessible with the exception of Social Icons, due to 3rd
party integration. I had my wife check one of our company sites out:
www.jnequipment.com

And she said that everything is pretty straight forward, I guess also
because we have on our products when there is too much text in the short
description to say something like 'click here to learn more' instead of
just 'read more'. And in all honesty we did do nothing special, only the
common SEO stuff which ironically also optimizes a lot for Screen Readers.

Because Search Engines prefer to have headers to actually be as <h3> and
what not instead of just giving them a special span or paragraph styling.
That way the search engines can also easier identify how a page is built,
read the template and determine whether it makes sense or not. So I find it
in all honesty a bit shocking that so many websites are inaccessible with
screen readers.

A lot of that I would put fault on modern trends though. Like having all
sort of parallax effects and double layers like background images for
blurbs instead of simple contrasted background. Pop-Ups don't help either.
And Slideshows are the worst anyhow, but luckily they get out of trend
because User Research has shown that nobody likes slideshows at all and
almost nobody ever clicks on them.

Sincerely,

Andreas Lopez