[games_access] Need help identifying bad game examples

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Mon May 1 10:43:55 EDT 2017

Hi Chad,

Here's some to consider....

*Auditory:* Wii-U Mario Kart 8. No option to turn the music off, which can
be a real irritation for some. I'm sure there's better examples, but this
off the top of my head. In fact a really pitiful range of
user-customisation options.

*Cognitive: *Steep (Ubisoft). Start up forces you to set up an account
before you can do anything (which I found a nightmare making me want to
give up). Forces you to undertake training missions that are very
restrictive. Horrendous menu system. Unskippable stuff. Lots of stuff they
could really learn from in this game.

*Mobility/Input:* Zelda Breath of the Wild:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/9/14872144/breath-of-the-wild-motion-controls-shrines
(especially
as there's next to no alternative access controller access on this
machine). Also most VR games that insist upon the user being able to have
the ability to swoosh their head and arms about accurately. This has been a
persistent problem exacerbated by the success of Wii Sports c. 2006. Oh and
most games like GTA V that use just about every available control and
change them contextually depending on what you're doing.

*Vision:* Telltale Games:
http://switchgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/dear-telltale-games.html. Loads
like that, including Steep.

For all categories, the lack of accessibility information that can be
easily found (i.e. via on-line game accessibility filters) makes finding
suitable games a nightmare. Hopefully Sony, Xbox, Steam, Apple etc. will
get much better at this soon. Sony's lack of refund options leads a lot of
people to give up for how easy it is to waste money on unsuitable games.
We've a long way to go....

Good luck,

Barrie