[Techtoolslist] 100uF 20V Wet Tantalum Substitute?

Bill Karkula wkarkula at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 16:43:30 EDT 2009

I acquired an HP1740A scope and all is well except this one capacitor
described as 100uF 20V +/- 10% wet tantalum which has leaked and the
electrolyte crystallized located on the timebase board. Do I need to
replace it exactly or is there a newer type of capacitor that can be used as
a substitute with better than or equal to characteristics of a wet tantalum?
I looked around and the wet tantalums are very pricey. I know capacitor
technology has come a long way and maybe someone can help save me the
research.

Thank You,

Bill