[Techtoolslist] Data I/O 29B Firmware Upgrade

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Mon Oct 6 01:03:25 EDT 2014

On 10/05/2014, 1:56 PM, Greg Baumgratz wrote:
> I just picked up a 29B with a ton of extra modules.  The 29B shows v01
> so I would like to upgrade the firmware as far as possible. It looks
> like the FTP site has v6 available but i am not sure of the
> requirements.  I have ROMs only at u33-u37 and v6 has u32-u38 so there
> are additional ROMs used and I also assume that u49 may need to be
> replaced as well.  I cant really find any good materials on the
> upgrade requirements so I thought i would ask here in case anyone has
> gone through the same process.  Are there any additional changes
> necessary?  Jumpers, etc?  Also, does the RAM board have any
> limitations in regard to the firmware? Apparently I have the 64K board
> so it is not upgradeable - does this matter for the firmware level?
> Does anyone have one they are parting out that may have the 256K board
> they would like to part with?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Hi Greg,

Actually there is a great support group on Yahoo for the Data I/O
programmers - I joined it years ago and it is moderated by Alferd Marin
who bought up all of I/Os obsolete gear. Alfred is a great help, often
giving advice on setups etc. for the various older I/O gear.

Go to Yahoo.com and look for the DATA_IO_EPROM group - easy to join!
Tons of archived info on upgrading the 29 series machines including
adding more memory and getting them to the last revision level. Well
worth the visit!

Data I/O has a good web site of archived data:

http://www.dataio.com/Support/TechnicalLibrary

And of course TTL has the Data I/O library too.

FTP site is: ftp://ttl.arcadetech.org/TTL/Test_Equipment (under Data IO
of course!)

John :-#)#