[Techtoolslist] EPROM Programming Woes...

Andy Raven araven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 09:58:42 EDT 2018

Hi,

Have you tried smaller Eproms to see if they have they same issue?
It could be a number of issues:
- Does the 29B use the fast programming method (or similarly named) process
for those particular eproms? Or the slow default method?  If the former,
can you manually change it to use the early slow method to see if the
problem persists?
- If it supports and uses fast programming, it's worth taking a measurement
of VCC to make sure it's increasing it from 5v to 6, 6.25 or 6.5v
(depending on the chip) correctly.  Some programmers claim to support fast
programming, but don't actually increase the VCC voltage as per the
datasheet.  This still works on eproms in reasonable condition, but on
older ones it often doesn't work.

If it was a communication problem, I would imagine it would fail in the
blank check test sometimes too.

Andy