[Techtoolslist] Using a USB floppy emulator with the Fluke 9100

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Aug 14 13:14:05 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 6:05 PM, John Robertson <jrr at flippers.com> wrote:

> can you tell us which
> setting you have the 9100 set to for the Floppy Emulator?

Sony.  That's what drives (2 of them) were in my 9105FT when I
acquired it and I didn't need to change the config to use the Gotek.
It is _possible_ that the Gotek won't be sensitive to the config value
but I've not tried changing it.

> I have to wonder if the 9100 can utilize two Floppies if one pokes around

If you configure the mainframe as a 9105 (via the service disk) it is
then configured to boot the OS from DR1 and load user disks from DR2.
It's possible to change the source for userdisks to DR1 via
SETUP/POD/USERDISK.    So it may be possible to modify the OS9
filesystem somehow to see DR1 and DR2 when in 9100 mode (for copy
source) but I've not spent any time doing this because there is no way
to get the firmware to boot from DR2 (only DR1 via SOFT+F2+F4).  This
is why I went with the DPDT switch (since I had 2 floppy bays
available) though practically I doubt I will ever use the physical
floppy again since everything that seems to be known to exist is now
in the github archive and having everything on 1 USB stick is just way
more convenient.