[Techtoolslist] Recommend add a fuse upgrade for Fluke 9100 series

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Aug 14 20:59:38 EDT 2018

I am now on the hunt for the small switching transformer on one of my
9100s as the original was cooked. Unfortunately it was not fused by
Fluke and I am not sure where I am going to find this sucker. It is T1
and is called Transformer, Converter 775932 (manufacturers #89536) in
parts listing.

Shy (@ Navatek) hasn't seen one before but is still checking...

This is a multi-winding sucker and provides the isolated voltages for
the serial ports as well as the 70V for the display. Years ago I had a
secondary cap (C101) short on this transformer and it let the magic
smoke out. I had set it aside and forgotten, but now I am restoring a
few 9100s and dug this out and found the smoked Xformer.

In the meantime I have modified all my 9100s lifting the furthest leg of
inductor L2 (10uH) away from the power connector J15 and then add a GMA
fuse holder in series from raised leg and the PCB. I find a 300ma fuse
works just fine. Which is interesting as Fluke put a 1A fuse in the 70V
output to the display...obviously overkill!

ftp://ttl.arcadetech.org//home/mirrors/flippers/TTL/Test_Equipment/Fluke/9100%20Series/Photos/Fuse_your_Converter_transformer/Fluke_transformer_converter_Add_Fuse_300MA.JPG

I may have to send this transformer core out to get rewound, anyone have
a suggestion where? Or I may try my hand in it, I have lots of tiny
magnet wire on hand - assuming I can't find the transformer.

More photos:

ftp://ttl.arcadetech.org//home/mirrors/flippers/TTL/Test_Equipment/Fluke/9100%20Series/Photos/Fuse_your_Converter_transformer/

John :-#)#