[Techtoolslist] How to enable EDITOR on 9100s?

Ian Eure ian at retrospec.tv
Thu Aug 23 20:28:16 EDT 2018

John Robertson writes:

> I am obviously overlooking something obvious, but how does one
> enable
> the EDITOR on a 9100 that is running 6.1 and has the video card
> installed? I tried using the service 6.0, but EDITOR does not
> appear to
> be an option.
>
> What is particularly annoying is I had editor on a 9100 which
> did not
> have the video card and when I pressed EDIT it would lock up. I
> then did
> some software tweak that removed EDITOR as an option, but I
> can't find
> that option again!
>
> I feel like an idiot, but I'm hoping someone will take pity no
> me and
> say the magic words (RTFM I suspect!) to fix this idiotic
> problem.

I’ve been tripped up by this before as well.  It’s buried in the
menu
system of the OS, you don’t need the service disk.

Press the SETUP MENU key, then right arrow, SOFT KEYS to see more
labels, F5 to select ON BOOT.  You can enable or disable EDITOR
and
the IEEE-488 interface from that menu.  Then back to the root and
SAVE
SYSTEM SETTINGS IN USERDISK, and reset.

  -- Ian