[Techtoolslist] 9100FT Programmer’s Keyboard

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Thu Oct 18 01:32:38 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM, John Robertson <jrr at flippers.com> wrote:
> I have uploaded photos of the insides of the OAK keyboard to:
>
> Under /Fluke/9100_series/9100_Keyboard...
>
> Will copy the binary code there too, makes more sense as it is not actually
> part of the adapter project.

In case it's not obvious (given the Subject line) the above OAK
keyboard was used on the earlier 9100A.    I don't have an A keyboard
but I believe you can use an A keyboard on an FT and vica-versa.

I de-soldered and dumped the ROM of one of my 9100FT keyboards (they
are all the same).

Attached are some pics of the 9100FT keyboard and a Keytronic KB-101 I
got for $20 off eBay
(it had been mentioned previously as being a possible conversion
candidate - http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/techtoolslist/2017q4/002920.html)

This is the standard KB-101, not the Plus version (which has a
different LED layout). The cable feeds in from the opposite side than
the Fluke otherwise it's very similar, ignoring of course the keycap
labeling.

The KB-101 is unfortunately a different board version.  There is a
socket for an EPROM which is unpopulated.  The microcontroller has
slightly different markings (20417-65/8031) than the Fluke
(20417-36/8031).  If I connect the KB-101 to a PC it works which is
interesting as normally the 8031 has no internal ROM.

The KB-101 cable is pinned out differently and there are more DIP
switches on the KB-101.  Populated with the Fluke data and using the
Fluke cable, unfortunately, it's not recognized by the 9100FT.

I only had 20 mins to look at it.  Hopefully I'll have more time this
weekend. It's possible one of the additional DIP switches selects the
external ROM.   Anyways, here is a link to some pics and the ROM data
which I know Andrew Finn was looking for --
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eow5jZ0RXSx4OVqG05EAQvBJIj_DSySA

HTH

Tony