[Techtoolslist] Using Flir android thermal camera to track down short

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Sep 10 10:58:02 EDT 2019

On 2019/09/10 2:59 a.m., Dave Riddle (Technical Dept.) wrote:
> Standard procedure since the '80's except the camera. Used an AgA
> Thermovision 750 with it's inconvenient loose liquid nitrogen.
>
> On 9/9/2019 7:02 PM, davids at oz.net wrote:
>> So I have an MCR board set which roasted the inductor on the +12v rail.
>>
>>   - - snip - -

A friend has lent me a dedicated Flir camera and I thought it would be
great for doing exactly the above. The problem is it is an older one
that takes up to five minutes to stabilize and by then I've usually
found the problem...

It was nice trying it on an Atari pinball MPU that some idiot had
plugged in the solenoid connector to the switch jack. The fifteen or so
blown ICs stood out easily against the background!

What is interesting is that a number of digital cameras will work in the
IR range, so I've thought of getting a visible light filter whenever I
again order some lens from Edmonds to play with some of my cameras to
see how far they actually see. I have used camera phones for checking IR
diodes (including laser diodes on CD players) and the older iPhones
worked for that - which was handy for troubleshooting trough optos.

John ;-#)#