[Techtoolslist] 9010 and Konami 1 cpu?

Ian Eure ian at retrospec.tv
Thu Jan 9 19:27:50 EST 2020

Based on what I see in the MAME source[1] for the Konami-1, I
think a pin adapter will work for everything except RUN UUT.

The opcodes for the CPU are encrypted, so instruction fetches have
to pass through a decryption stage before being handed to a plain
6809E for execution.  But, since all the troubleshooting
functionality is internal to the pod, it ought to be able to do
the usual stuff okay.  Run UUT definitly wouldn’t work, because
it’ll get invalid (encrypted) opcodes.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the eBay adapter had a side-effect of
changing the ROM signatures.  It looks like you can tell
instruction fetches apart from other memory reads by examining
LIC, but it’s a gamble whether the adapter’s designer used that or
some other method to trigger decryption.

[1]:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/machine/konami1.cpp