[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9100A - Cannot boot from system disks

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Mar 17 13:05:35 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:47 AM Marc Desfossés <mdesfoss at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am using samdisk on a Windows 2000 PC to write images on disks. The
> floppy drive is HD.
>
> I write them using this commandline. It worked for disks such as the
> service disk 1.4.
>
>     samdisk copy STREAM A:
>
> The disks I am using are double density disks that were brand new.  They
> actually came with the Fluke and have a Fluke sticker on them.

I also have a box of virgin/blank Fluke floppies and I've had no issues
writing them (using dtc) and reading them on the Fluke.   I've however had
issues trying to use Fluke branded floppies that have been previously
used,  all kinds of errors when reading on the Fluke.

If I were you (since you have the temporary workaround of using the ftp HDD
image) I'd just install a Gotek and be done with floppies.  The Gotek is
far more useful and more importantly, far more reliable.

Just remember that you need to set the floppy type to Sony in the
firmware,  if it's set to Canon you're going to have to start messing with
signalling lines to get the Gotek to work [yes this will impact the disc
change detect test referenced in the manual but I've found no case where
this is actually relied upon; rather there is always "press any key" manual
detection].   Since you have a working service disk floppy you should be
able to do this,  or as you found you can just write a service disk floppy
to an SDcard and boot it using SCSI2SD.

Tony