[Techtoolslist] part sourcing help - edge connectors, hook leads

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Mon Mar 23 14:15:56 EDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM Joe Magiera <joemagiera at ameritech.net>
wrote:

> Anyone have a good source for edge connectors of various sizes?  I don't
> know what to call what I'm looking for, so it makes it hard to search for.
>

> Trying to build up my test area environment.  I have a good JAMMA set up,
> but I'd like to expand to test non-JAMMA (and build some of the more common
> PCB adapters to JAMMA).  I'm looking for connectors that on one side is the
> female side, i.e., a flat male side edge connector would plug into it.  On
> the other side of the connector would be two rows of pins.  I looked at a
> couple of ones that I have and while I have the female side, the two rows
> of
> pins aren't the pins I'm looking for.  They just have a pin.  I'd like to
> get pins that are flat and have a small hole in them so I can easily use
> hook leads.  I'd also like to get an assortment of different sizes (number
> of pins).

If I'm understanding correctly,  you're looking for what I would describe
as a "card edge breakout" board.
Something like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13988  but obviously
this is specific to a particular application?

> And while I'm at it, anyone have a source for decent priced hook leads?
> The
> one's I've found are ridiculously expensive.  $9.95 (plus shipping & tax)
> for a one foot piece of wire with a cheap hook on each end.  Yikes.  I
> guess
> I'm not very good at searching.

Posting a link to the $9.95 one would be really helpful so people can
understand exactly what you're referring to.

To me it sounds like you want a micro grabber but I have no idea what you
want on the other end?  Banana plug?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372963686218

Same thing is even cheaper with bare wire ends.

That said, you pay for what you get.    I usually look around eBay for
Pomona brand being sold for a decent price.

Tony