[Techtoolslist] HP 1611A

Dave McGuire mcguire at mcguirescientificservices.com
Fri Mar 5 12:55:29 EST 2021

   Hi folks, I'm mostly a lurker here, but I think some of you know me.
I run LSSM in Pittsburgh.  Most of our machines are classified as "big
iron" (DEC PDP-11s, IBM mainframes, etc) but now that we are starting
some restoration work on some early microprocessor-based systems, I
decided to dig into the small stack of HP 1611As that I was given a few
years ago.

   For the unfamiliar, the 1611A is a bench instrument that is
essentially a microprocessor-specific logic analyzer.  You plug its pod
into your microprocessor socket, plug your microprocessor into its pod,
run your system, and it allows you to set breakpoints, scroll through a
disassembled execution trace (addresses and mnemonics) on its display,
halt/single-step, etc.

   They support most of the major microprocessors such as 8080, 8085,
Z80, 6800, 6809, 6502, 1802, F8, etc.

   The 1611A is a generalized instrument that uses "personality modules"
which consist of two boards inside the unit, half of the front panel,
and the pod on a cable.  You can see where this is going...the pods are
always long gone.

   I've designed a replacement pod for the Z80 personality, and am
awaiting PCBs.

   This is a long-winded way of asking if anyone here has had any
contact with these systems. (I'm not a man of few words..)

              Thanks,
              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire