[Town Meeting] Article 36 Canine Control (fwd)

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at rlcarr.com
Mon May 10 12:26:40 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:48:39 -0400
From: Leslie Mayer <blmayer at msn.com>
Subject: Article 36 Canine Control

Rich & John,

The attached e-mail and .pdf files had been prepared to present at a
continuation that the Selectmen were going to be having in
reconsideration of Article 36 Canine Control. That hearing is not
going to be happening this evening, and I wonder if it is acceptable
to post this information to the Town Meeting Member list. I believe
that it would be considered relevant background information, but leave
it to you to decide if it is okay to post.

Thanks,

Leslie Mayer

Pct 21 TMM/Chair, Park & Rec Commission

Subject: For 5/10 continuation of BoS hearing on Article 36
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:35:53 -0400

Selectmen,

Joe Connelly and I met to discuss and plan for what would happen if
Article 36 Bylaw Amendment/Canine Control should pass. We believe
that Article 36 sets the framework for allowing off-leash
opportunities in town and that the Park & Recreation Commission would
then have the responsibility for insuring its workability. If the
bylaw amendment passes, here is our plan:

The attached document (2010 off-leash.pdf) is a draft of an
informational document that we intent to turn into an educational
brochure. It identifies the time and locations that would be legal
purely by the passage of Article 36 (and without any Park & Rec
exclusions) and those public lands that would not allow any off-leash
activity per the bylaw. It also includes a set of rules and
expectations that have been previously discussed in other attempts to
establish off-leash activity in town.

This document would be distributed to all members of the Park &
Recreation Commission, and at our June meeting, the Commission would
discuss and make its recommendations for exclusions and limitations
that it believes are necessary. I expect the Commission to consider
placing limitations on locations based on public health/safety
concerns, its knowledge of other permitted uses, and past public
input. The Commission will also be asked to provide its input on any
additional rules and on the draft signage (copies attached as 2010
off-leash sign.pdf & 2010 NO DOGS ALLOWED.pdf).

The informational document will be modified to include all of the
Commission updates. This updated document and the signs will be sent
to Town Counsel for review.

A town-wide public informational meeting will then be scheduled. I
would hope for it to be held in late September / early October, so
that we could then advertise it at Town Day, along with posting to the
Town website, sending a Town e-mail alert, distribution through
various "Friends", A-Dog and sports groups and in the Advocate. The
informational brochure would be available for distribution at this
meeting and through other outlets (Town website, at Recreation Office,
at Town Hall and through distribution to "Friends", A-Dog and sports
groups).

At this meeting, there will be an opportunity for residents to request
the Commission consider additional exclusions and restrictions. The
Commission will request the input of the Town's Animal Control Officer
and will hold a public hearing for any exclusion/restriction requests
and will make its decision at the next subsequent Commission meeting.

Signs will be made and visibly posted at the parks, fields and
playgrounds under Park & Recreation jurisdiction.

Complaints will go directly to Joe and will be reviewed at each
Commission meeting. We believe that complaints will be manageable.
However, should the volume or contentious nature of complaints warrant
it, Joe and I have discussed forming a sub-committee to make
recommendations to the Commission. This could be a permanent
membership sub-committee or an ad hoc sub-committee depending on the
nature of the need. This will be discussed and decided on by the
Commission.

As stated in the document, on an on-going basis the Commission may
decide to exclude a property or portion of a property based on
environmental damage, failure to comply with rules and regulations,
public health or safety, conflict with other permitted uses or serious
unanticipated problems affecting other park users. In making its
decision, the Commission will seek the input of the Animal Control
Officer (and other Town departments, as necessary) and will hold a
public hearing prior to making any decision. A few final notes - we
believe that the work of the Fenced Off-leash Dog Area Task Force
should continue, as fenced areas are still desirable but not
financially feasible in the short-term. Costs associated with
implementing the Article 36 bylaw amendment are anticipated to be
minimal; signs will be made in-house and members of A-Dog have offered
to pay costs associated with production of informational brochures.

I am sure that there will be many questions and challenges, but I am
confident that our outstanding Director of Recreation and the members
of the Park & Recreation Commission are capable of dealing with them.

See you Monday evening,
Leslie M.