[Town Meeting] Article 11 .. Background...

Gordon Jamieson jamiesga at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 17:50:22 EDT 2013

Hi all

While we didn't get a chance to discuss Article 11 .. I wanted to provide the following:

ATM - Article 11 - Background

This ten registered voter article was filed as part of an
attempt to initiate local discussions of current state and local regulations
and laws/bylaws applicable to firearms

The proponent hope (at length) that this discussion will be
comprised of several parts/action items

1 - Education regarding current local/state/federal firearm
regulations/provisions (working with AFD Chief Ryan et al)

2 - Review of our bylaws and/or regulations put forth by the
different bodies which control our public lands/properties

3 - Initiating a firearm surrender/buy-back program for
firearms and ammunition (again with AFD Chief Ryan et al)

The warrant article deals focused on the 2nd issue - The
text cited in the warrant article Title IV, Article I can be found here http://www.arlingtonma.gov/Public_Documents/ArlingtonMA_TownBylaws/title4#article1

The town counsel and I found this to be a good place to
initiate our discussion(s) - With the thought that this ‘broad’ starting point
would provide a sufficiently wide scope for use as a warrant article pertaining
to several town bodies

Despite the body's vote of ‘no action’ last week - The
proponents hope is that over the coming next year that each body (town, schools,
conservation, redevelopment board, cemetery) will see it as an opportunity to
do one of the following

.. Review the ‘draft’ text based upon existing Park
Department bylaw regulations

.. Determine which part(s) are applicable to their
particular situation and priorities

.. And then to work with the proponents to draft suitable
‘vote’ language for inclusion in a report to town meeting

Or given that each authority may wish to take a different
approach to addressing this important matter

.. And as long as a thoughtful discussion of the issues at
hand is had by each body

.. The proponents are also be open to an appropriate
modification of each authority’s regulations

.. Assuming that provides an equal level of regulation and
clarity to the public

We will continue to look forward to working with the relevant
parties to make these objectives a reality

Gordon Jamieson
TMM Precinct 12