[casual_games] future of shockwave

BRENT SILBY brent at def-logic.com
Sat Oct 22 00:25:04 EDT 2005

> Personally, if you're looking to offer more than browser-based, dhtml
> games then I'd recommend flash despite the fact that you may have to
> rewrite a lot more code.

True, but I'm also looking ahead to the sidebar Gadgets for windows (http://microsoftgadgets.com/default.aspx). They are based on dhtml and offer a very quick small download way to run small applications on the desktop. Whatever I do, I think its in my best interest to continue to offer dhtml versions of the games. Recently I had my "Defense Unit" game converted to a widget for the mac. Widgets are very similar to the Gadgets. It took virtually no extra coding to get it to work since widgets are dhtml. Its quite popular too. It ranks 47th on the widget download list on apple.com :)

Flash is more difficult to port my games because it doesn't handle bitmaps (I know flash 8 does), and it doesn't have javascript compatibility. It would take a lot more work to port to flash for those reasons. Not worth the effort.

So, I think I'll test for shockwave. If the visitor does not have shockwave, I'll load the dhtml version of the game rather than directing them to the shockwave player download. Then again, I may be wasting my time.

Cheers,
Brent.
DEF-LOGIC
VIDEOGAMES