[casual_games] Portals: Room for improvement?

James Baker - WDDG/Inferno james at WDDG.com
Thu Sep 8 11:14:29 EDT 2005

> Plus, I have to wonder; if the discount is coming out of the
> channel's revenue share, why don't instead they spend that
> money on marketing their site and bringing in new customers?
> Or on implementing *real* ways of differentiating their
> offering (such as better customer service, the dynamic
> retailing that we've talked about here, a kick-ass
> multiplayer platform, better treatment of developers, a
> vibrant user community, creative promotions, et cetera)?

Not to be overly cynical - but I think that the main reason for this is
laziness.  To discount titles all you need to do it much around a bit
with the CMS that runs the site.  To do deals, to better advertise and
to create better promotions takes effort that most of the large portals
are avoiding.