[casual_games] Market Penetration of Flash 7?

Austin Haas austin at pettomato.com
Thu Sep 22 14:54:22 EDT 2005

"he tells me that things are a
 > few pixels off - a bordering line, for instance, is obscured by the
 > image it borders, etc."

In my experience, that's not usually something caused by a Player
version. Maybe it's something else, like his/her desktop size or pixel
depth? I think most of the math functions that might give different
results stabilized after Flash 6.

The only other thing that I can think of is if you were moving graphics
through code, and you didn't account for a slower computer taking longer.

Also, is everyone on PC? Flash doesn't work as well on Mac and Linux,
but I think it's only a performance issue.

Regarding the ubiquity of the player, you can see from those numbers on
Macromedia's site that version 7 penetration is high (90%). Also,
upgrading a user's player is very quick and painless, if they have to.
You should put something in to check, however, just in case, but I think
that you can do that simply with the html Object and Embed tags. I've
never actually built in a check in my swf before.

If you publish your movie for Flash 7 and generate an html page
automatically with it, it should have the correct tags.

-austin