[casual_games] Re: Aztec

Kim Pallister kimpall at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 27 16:37:59 EDT 2006

>So, is this statement true or false? Can the visual theme of a casual
game look like a Saturday morning cartoon?

Well, 'saturday morning cartoon' is itself a pretty wide berth.

I'd argue that Diner Dash is both successful and somewhat cartoon-like.
As are Cake Mania, Magic Match (character is cartoon like anyway), and a
number of others.

I don't think there's an undue weighting of 'aztec themed' games. I
think the industry recognizes the fact that theming/wrapping/dressing or
whatever else you want to call it resonates well with players.

History and Mythology have always provided good fodder for doing such in
games, both in hardcore and casual.

So along with your Aztec themed, you've got Egyptian (Luxor, Lumen,
Mosaic, Bricks of Egypt), Atlantis (Atlantis Quest, plus the overlap
with multiple 'underwater' titles, etc.

There's of course all the nostalgic periods of more recent history
(Hotel Solitaire, Roller rush, etc).

Is this really any different than first person shooters, where we go
through a rash of 'space marine' titles, then a wave of 'WWII shooters',
and so on?

Kim