[casual_games] Re: PopCap developer needed urgently

Andy Makely rendermouse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 14:57:23 EST 2006

I work with Flash every day, so I though I'd add some info to the mix.

- As mentioned here previously, Flash handles bitmap images just fine.
Especially PNGs, which retain all of their transparency information.  You
can even write code to animate using your existing sprite graphics.

- Flash can achieve an acceptable frame rate if coded efficiently,
especially if you are working with a 640x480 screen.  It does get harder to
get good redraw speed from an 800x600 Flash canvas, especially if you have a
large number of animated sprites.  Recent changes have been made to the
Flash rendering code so that single-frame bitmap assets draw MUCH faster
than before.  Scrolling backgrounds, for example, are no longer a real
performance concern.

- Flash 8 (the most recent version) does not support MIDI playback of any
kind.  You can convert your MIDI files to MP3, at the expense of your file
size.  You might also be able to build a custom C++ wrapper that encloses
your Flash movie, and perhaps get MIDI playback working via the C++
libraries, but it's probably not worth the effort.

- You can get Joystick support via commercial Flash projector tools such as
mdm's Zinc.  Flash does support all keyboard and mouse input.

I definite understand the concern for not wanting to rebuild the game
again.  Flash may not be an option in this case, but many folks have found
that it is a viable casual game platform.

--
Andy Makely

--
andy makely