[casual_games] revenue models

Ryan Sumo endlessthirteen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 20:52:02 EST 2006

Hey guys,

i was just wondering about the standard revenue models you use when selling or licensing games for use on another site.  I must admit I'm a little bit confused as how to game studios and gaming sites earn money.

I'm coming from a designer/artist perspective here, and I'm trying to learn the marketing/finance side of things, since we all know that as much as we love to make games, at the end of the day you need to make enough to keep food on the table, and have money on the side to buy a comic or watch a movie or two.

In the mobile space, I was told by our marketing people that they were making stuff up as they went along, since there were no standards set in stone.  Usually there would be a rev share plus a development fee, but I'm jsut wondering if the case stands true with net-based casual games.

Hope some of you guys can help me out here.

Cheers.
Ryan Sumo