[casual_games] Sudoku difficulty

Charles Parcell cparcell at toxictoy.com
Tue Feb 14 17:24:57 EST 2006

This actually is spawning from another list I am on where we are talking
about Sudoku puzzles. the question has been posed, how do you rank a
Sudoku puzzle as simple, or difficult?

We are discussing generators. The approach has been to generate a solved
puzzle first and then remove numbers from there. In this removal process
it is assumed that different formulas would be applied to generate an
simple or difficult puzzle. There are two thoughts going on around this.
First is the number of empty locations within a puzzle. The second
thought is the number of start points for solving and "chaining" solutions.

Since this is a casual game list and Sudoku is a casual game... I assume
that this is not an inappropriate e-mail.

Charles P.