[casual_games] Sudoku difficulty

Robert Gordon rob at article19.com
Tue Feb 14 17:45:37 EST 2006

Hey Charles - I'll bite.

I created this:
http://dailysudoku.shockwave.com

There's quite a bit of discussion out there on the right way to think about
this issue. One of the more interesting (and inspirational) solutions comes
from the developer of the Sudoku Susser (Google it). There are essentially
two ways to go about grading puzzles - one is to compare brute-force search
times across puzzles, the other is to employ progressively more
sophisticated human-logic solving techniques. My preference is for the
latter, and many seem to feel that this gives a more realistic rating.
There's a lot of information out there describing the techniques and I've
managed to code for 7 of them so far (more than enough to handle out
puzzles).

Now - that doesn't really speak to the generation issue. Generating 'good'
puzzles can be a very challenging task (apparently Gould from Sudoku.com
spent years perfecting his program). One strategy is get together a program
that simply spits out MANY valid and single-solution puzzles, then run them
through a rating algo to find the 'good' ones.

r o b