[casual_games] Sudoku difficulty

Andy Makely rendermouse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:44:17 EST 2006

>From the few I have played, it seems that the difficulty levels vary.  Rob's
Sudoku on Shockwave.com and websudoku.com have an "Easy" mode that starts
with at least one row/grid/column with 3 empty spaces.  The
Miniclip.comSudoku game has an Easy mode that starts you with at least
one
row/grid/column with 4 empty spaces.

I would imagine that another measure of difficulty is how one find triggers
the next.  When the process of elimination is fairly straightforward and
have several squares that have only one or two possible values, things move
along quickly.  When a player is having to do more logic comparing several
squares with multiple possible values, it's obviously more challenging.

I'm not sure exactly how one controls such complexity via code, but it's an
interesting problem.

--
andy makely