[casual_games] surprising stats about casual gaming

Steve Meretzky smeretzky at floodg.com
Tue Jul 25 08:43:45 EDT 2006

Even if the gameplay of Diablo were appealing to casual gamers, the
theme/tone would be a turn-off.

While the long play-sessions of many 5 minute games prove that casual gamers
have the time for a longer game, it doesn't necessarily prove that they have
interest in a longer game. While a longer game can in theory be just as easy
to pick up, with as simple and intuitive a rule set, the perception is
likely to be that a longer game will be "like those PC and console games my
teenage son plays, and that I could never figure out". (And, frankly, I'm
not sure that a longer casual game wouldn't end up that way any way, as the
designers of the game give in to the temptation afforded by the longer game
to add more features and complexity.)

If there are going to be longer-play casual games, it will probably be as a
result of gradually weaning the casual audience in that direction. I think
the trend of many downloadable games to have a light uber-game which ties
together the 5-minute levels is promising movement in that direction. For
example, the familiar mechanic of a world map which, after you complete 5
levels, shows you "traveling" from the oasis to the pyramid, leaving a
dotted line to show the journey traveled so far, resuming playing at a
slightly harder difficulty level. Thus you have a many-hour game, which
feels like a bunch of 5-minute games -- and which in fact a player who is
uninterested in (or intimidated by) the uber-game can just ignore that
uber-game and actually play it as a stand-alone 5-minute game. (It would be
interesting to know what percentage of players of games that are thusly
structured focus on the uber-game, and what percentage ignore it.)

--Steve

  _____