[casual_games] Casual game graphics API usage

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Tue Nov 21 13:08:12 EST 2006

>> of the top 50 casual games in 2006, how many were coded using each

graphics API.

I am not aware of any source for this kind of data. But this is exactly the
kind of thing we are currently hoping to discover if we can get more people
to take the technology survey that was published in the last issue of the
Casual Games SIG Quarterly. That survey has many questions include specific
questions about DirectX, OpenGL, and Win32 API.

The article about the survey is here:
http://www.igda.org/casual/quarterly/2_1/index.php?id=8 It lists the
results of some very limited research that was done in the past and then the
article introduces the new research and links to the survey being used to
collect the new data.

Here is a direct link to the new survey:
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=265712621876>
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=265712621876

I would really appreciate it if the whole casual games community could help
fill in as much of this data as possible. The survey should be filled out
once for each game you developed or have detailed knowledge about. In other
words, if you have developed 3 casual games you should fill out the survey 3
times.

Once a critical mass of data has been collected it will be analyzed in
several ways. One way I plan to analyze it is by correlating the data with
the top 10 sales charts and looking at things like which technologies were
used by top selling games over different periods of time.

James C. Smith

Steering committee member: IGDA Casual Games SIG

Web master: www.game-sales-charts.com <http://www.game-sales-charts.com/>

Producer / Lead Programmer: Reflexive Entertainment