[casual_games] Multiplayer casual games

Kenny Rosenblatt kenny at arkadium.com
Thu Aug 2 15:29:19 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would add my 2cents, and hopefully cause a big fight. So here
goes.

Let me start off by saying that I believe there are plenty of successful
multiplayer casual games currently on the market. They are however not as
mainstream due to our industries unwarranted love affair with single player
downloadable games using the try-before-you-buy business model.

There is no shortage of innovation, or that game developers refuse to build
multiplayer casual games, but the problem lies with the aggregators. Yes,
the aggregators. The aggregators are the ones who have access to the users.
If the aggregators control the eyeballs, then the multiplayer game
developers must rely heavily on aggregator support for their game to be
distributed. It's true that some developers think selling a multiplayer
game on their site alone will be enough, but in order to be truly
successful, you will need massive distribution, a big marketing budget, or a
retail angle.

Think about it this way, if you are a game developer with a single player
downloadable game, could you really succeed without having the game
distributed by Oberon, Big-Fish, Real Arcade, Trymedia, iWin, Boonty etc?

I see three big reasons for lack of multiplayer support by the aggregators.

1) Multi-player requires a backend system. Is your proprietary or licensed
backend system ready to handle Yahoo, Microsoft, and AOL traffic? If not,
is the aggregator willing to put the relationship with these portals on the
line?

2) The revenue model for multiplayer is often not a $19.95 try before you
buy model, so the aggregators payment systems are currently not equipped to
handle this. If you are a game developer without the clout of Popcap, it
will be hard to push the aggregator to change their system to accommodate
your game. This really hurts innovation and new business models like
virtual items, subscriptions, and pay-as-you go.

3) Registrations and logins. Most multiplayer games require a registration
of some sort, and typically the site you downloaded the game from also has a
registration system. So....how are you going to handle that? I really
doubt that Microsoft wants its users registering for a different system if
the user downloaded the game from zone.com. If you are able to get the
co-registration handled, who owns the user data? Is it the retailer, the
aggregator or the developer?

There are lots of other reasons, but the above three are the most
significant. I hope that made some sense, and if any aggregator on the list
disagrees, please let us know. There are plenty of us ready for high
quality multiplayer games to be sold through their distribution channels.

-Kenny
Arkadium Games