[casual_games] XNA Vs Dark GDK

Joseph Pugliese joepug at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 23:53:48 EST 2007

Hello all,

I'm new to the list....actually I meant to subscribe to the newsletter and
somehow got on this list instead. :) But seeing as how I'm interested in
casual game development, I decided to stick around. :)

I bought and am in the process of watching the XNA vids (Vol I & II) also.
Both Volumes total over 90 hours in length. I'm on video 134 out of 184 so I
have 24 hours to go. :)

My take on the videos so far:

They were designed assuming that you know nothing about programming and if
your already familiar with the basics, Vol I is not going to be very
informative. There are a few interesting thing in it here and there and I
did enjoy watching them. Vol I is to just get you familiar with the IDE and
the "idea" of game programming, if you will. It just introduces you to some
basic concepts.

Vol II is where things get interesting. You'll see a lot
of whiteboarding. They (Buzz, (Jason Busby) the teacher and Logan, the
programmer) start out by teaching you the basics of programming
(If-then, for, while do, switch, ect). Then they move on the Object
Oriented Programming. I felt that the OOP part was very good. After
that is knowledge review 7. Unlike all the other knowledge reviews this one
is many video's long.

Then comes the actual introduction to XNA (it was used before this but not
really explained yet). And this is where I'm at now. After this is the Vol
II game, Precision.

I'm already familiar with Java, C++, Visual Basic (somewhat) and bought
these
videos to close up some gaps in my understanding. Plus I felt it was
important that I actually get to "see" someone program in real time.
Otherwise I'm completely self taught with no real guide as to
direction, until recently,
that is.

Enjoy!

Joe