[casual_games] Question About Adobe/Macromedia Director as a Development Platform....

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Sun Feb 11 07:39:18 EST 2007

> Does the program offer a rich enough development platform and scripting

> language for Puzzle or Action games? I'm familiar with Lingo, but do not

> know how the language has developed in the past few years to address the

> needs of casual game developers.

Lingo hasn't evolved for a long time, it's still the same old quirky
language. More importantly, the code editor has none of the last 10 years'
improvements seen in other IDEs. I cringe and curse when I have to use it
these days to fix something in an old production.

Although it's a dying product in many respects (dwindling plugin
penetration, community sites being taken down, little support from Adobe),
it's still a viable option in the casual games space, and for 3D games
maybe even the best.

I would never recommend anyone to start learning Director from scratch
(unless they had a specific project that needs it, that they *know* will
yield a good ROI), but if you're already familiar with it - go ahead. If
your games are 2D, go with Flash/Flex instead.

Note: for 3D games, it may be worthwhile to look at WPF/.NET 3.0 - you can
run XBAPs in the browser. Currently Windows only, but the mono team are
looking into implementing it for other platforms.