[casual_games] Question About Adobe/Macromedia Director as a Development Platform....

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Tue Feb 13 14:14:33 EST 2007

> Has anyone on this list TOUCHED director, in the last 3-4 years?

Yup, I used it up until about 2 years ago. The 8.5 version with the 3D
engine (in 2001?) was a significant update, but since then it's all been
pretty much about IDE UI and Flash support.

I have a hard time believing that they'll be able to do much with this old
and bloated codebase, but maybe they're rewriting large portions of it as
we speak... However, with their track record of untested/buggy updates to
the Shockwave player, it seems far-fetched that they'll be able to pull it
off.

Besides, I find that many basic Director paradigms are just plain *wrong*,
I wouldn't feel comfortable using it unless they changed it at its very
core.

Still. If I had to do a 3D web game for both Mac and PC today, I'd
probably use Director. While cursing.