[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Elmlish Q. Woods elmlish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:20:17 EST 2007

Patents on game play are over the top pointless, in my opinion. Copyright
and Trademark protect the most valuable aspects of a game: the look and
feel. If a copycat does make a direct ripoff of your game you have the
ability to protect your "I.P." Do you think it would have improved the
movie industry to patent Romantic Comedies? I believe it's fairly reasonable
to say that it wouldn't have. (though some would argue this point with the
quality of romantic comedies today)

Could you imagine patenting silly walks, or ways of swinging, or ways of
jumping rope? I believe I heard a story about someone attempting to patent a
way of swinging sideways, but I don't know what ever came of it.

Small iterations and riffs on a popular genre are how people and the culture
they create naturally work.

I've heard of many cases where the first to develop something isn't, in the
end, the one who steals the imagination of the people and comes to "own" the
idea. It's often the second to market who copies the first and refines the
rough idea into something marketable who succeeds. If the idea were locked
down with the first party, then it may have died on the vine and the world
may never have benefited from the expansion on and refinement of this great
idea.

~Israel