[casual_games] Sales, Exposure and Profitability

Matthew Ford matthew at fordfam.com
Mon Jun 25 20:03:34 EDT 2007

There has been a good response to this question on the cost/time side, and I
appreciate developers allowing that much of a peek into the tent. But I want
to stick the camel's nose a bit further under the tent because my business
planning still has only one side of the ledger filled out...

I'm wondering if there can be another crack at figuring out the kind of
sales volumes that games of different success levels can generate.
Sales-numbers questions have come up pretty often on this list over the
couple years or so I've been on it, but devs are understandably reluctant to
give answers. Of course nobody should feel obligated to give away secrets,
and people don't want to spread misinformation since the answers are so
dependent on so many factors. Still, the question remains... when we newbies
are trying to convince investors, staff working for profit-share, and
ourselves how much revenue we can generate after an expensive development
effort, what sources and logic can we use to fill out that side of the
ledger?

In the past, this list agreed that the industry needs some kind of neutral
consolidator, to take confidential information from many developers and
release aggregate numbers which can give some ballpark figures for sales
volumes and resulting revenues, by genre and tier of success. Since that
last was wished for, has any neutral consolidator appeared?

And while my lurker's cloak is off, let me add my thanks to the more voluble
members of this list for such great discussion.

Matthew Ford
matthew at fordfam dot com