[casual_games] web based 3D technologies market

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Tue Jun 26 06:43:44 EDT 2007

He Gert-Jan,

Next to current penetration numbers, you might want to closely look at
the installation experience of each of these products.
The shockwave installation for instance has been notorious in the past
with having to enter name and email adres, being redirected
to shockwave.com, having the weatherbug toolbar installed, then later it
had the yahoo toolbar installed, and now it offers the google
toolbar.. I believe this has gotten a lot better recently though.
You should realize however that you're at the mercy of your technology
provider as to if this stays the same or not... Tomorrow adobe could
decide to bundle who knows what with the shockwaveplayer,
and you'll just have to suck it up.

All that aside, I'm a very big fan of Shockwave3D, and have been
developing retail and online 3d titles with it for the last 7 years orso.

> *Virtools*

> Online/Offline

> Windows/Mac/Consoles

> Web Player Penetration : 5%??? (estimate)

> *WildTangent*

> Online/Offline

> Windows/Mac/Consoles

> Web Player Penetration : 5%??? (estimate)

Those estimates seem very, very high to me. I have no data to back that
up either, just that my estimate would be somewhere lower than 0.1%
probably even way lower than that.

Bye, Lucas