[casual_games] Res: Use of keyboard on casual games

Ricky Haggett ricky at morpheme.co.uk
Thu May 31 09:53:02 EDT 2007

> I think that there is a solution: allow the user to choose the input

method he/she wants to use (mouse,

> keyboard or joystick).

Jose, I'd be interested to hear more about the specifics of your game
mechanic (abstracted if you like) that would make mouse control considerably
less desirable.

Granted, every mechanic tends to have an ideal control device. But aside
from edge cases (Wii Sports springs to mind), it's often possible to highly
optimise the design of the user-input to make it work on a range of input
devices.

For some mechanics this will no doubt require rather more work than for
others - without any more information about your specific case, I would
suggest spending your time trying out a number of different ways to make
your design work with mouse control (the path of least resistance), and
optimise for that, as opposed to implementing a number of input methods in a
trivial way in order to allow the user to decide.

Ricky

Morpheme Game Studios, Morpheme Wireless and Morpheme
are trading names of Eidos Interactive Limited whose registered office is
1 Hartfield Road, London SW19 3RU
Company number: 01804186

Checked by AVG.
15:03