[casual_games] Table of Contents for 2008 Casual Games White Paper

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Wed Nov 14 17:41:19 EST 2007

Hey Dave. I'm here at the 11th hour looking at your proposal (you said I've
gotta till the 15th :) ), but I wanted to comment on the new structure you
are proposing. I'll focus on the game production and design parts of the
paper, as it is what I've been writing for it for the past 4 years.

I feel that the organization of the paper is definitely the right approach
from my point of view. I think it's great that we start with a good
introduction on what Casual Games are, and we narrow into specific types of
games and their characteristics, which is what we started doing last year in
the Production and Design section. But it's much better that each type of
game has a specific section and then you nail down into the business, the
design, and other relevant issues when it comes to do that particular type
of game.

We may want to have production and technology issues for each type of game,
as team sizes, budgets, and technology used varies.

There are some things on the current Production and Design section that I
think it would be a shame to lose. Things such as character design, sound
production, localization and testing are sections that, although they always
can be improved, can be useful for people to have. There are books about the
subject, but I always felt that those sections in the paper were a useful
resource for those outside the US or Europe where those books are harder to
get.

Thanks for your work Dave. And from all the people who have worked on the
Production and Design section of the paper all these years, we are looking
forward to keep improving the Paper.

Cheers,

Juan