[casual_games] Impact of Netbooks on PC Development?

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Tue Dec 16 14:13:18 EST 2008

Your right, scaling down large art procedurally is not as good as having the
artists make it smaller to begin with. We would never make 1024 X 768 art
if we though most people would end up playing at 800 X 600. We started
building 1024 X 768 games when we thought it was safe to assume that a super
majority of our users will be playing that that rez or higher. We support
lower rez by scaling down but we believe that is a small minority of the
players. Now this netbook issue could change that assumption but those
machines may be so underpowered that they couldn't run the games anyway
without major changes.