[casual_games] Impact of Netbooks on PC Development?

Stephen Triche Striche at yatecgames.com
Tue Dec 16 15:58:33 EST 2008

I think it absolutely will, to some degree. Specifics (themes, genres,
level of complexity, controls) may differ but I think we're really
seeing two things occur. One is a spread of true "casual" (Wii as
WiiSports/Play) the other is the accelerated growth of a secondary
hardcore market focused on different types of, usually smaller games
(pc/console small downloadable portals). I think we'll see a continued
growth of production values. The new customers are going to form (have
formed) brand loyalty. These smaller more accessible games have tapped
into new customers, or old customers that were turned off by the added
complexity the PSX/64/Saturn/3D era brought.

I don't think it will ever reach the heights of the current hardcore
biz, simply based on what these customers are looking for, but It's
going to go up.