[casual_games] browser based game engines

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Jun 20 08:00:07 EDT 2008

> Having used the a fair majority of on & offline 3D engines over the

> years (high & low end), in terms of accessibility, value & workflow, I

> can say without a doubt the cream of the crop is Unity

> (http:/www.unity3d.com <http://www.unity3d.com>) made by the wonderful

> folks at Unity Technologies.

For what it's worth, I don't define Unity as a true
browser-based game. From my article from 2000:

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/12

"Most Internet game play is divided into three categories: true browser
based, browser plugin based, and client based." Under my definitions,
Unity3D is browser-plugin based. Meaning, I just went to try out one of
your games, and found that I couldn't actually play it because I have no
capability to install the Unity3D browser plugin at my library's
terminal. For example.

I, and the article above shows my early interest in them, am still
looking for true browser based engines - games that require merely HTML
or JavaScript to get their mojo going. The state of those types of
engines, nowadays, is only partially better than it was back in 2000,
though my friends and I have just started working on a new attempt at
one, embedded within the Drupal content management system.

--
Morbus Iff ( be realistic. demand the impossible. )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/