[casual_games] Club Penguin's Conversion Rate

Daniel James d at djames.org
Tue Feb 24 20:43:50 EST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Aaron Murray wrote:

> Our numbers vary by source, but we typically convert 30-35% of site

> visitors into registered players. This "feels" low to me

That's a very good number (which is not to say that you can't improve it
further!)

Puzzle Pirates gets about 10% of those landing on the site to try the
game out. About half of those register. The first enormous drop-off can
be chalked up to a Java signed applet security permission and ~70MB of
download. We recently added some pre-download excitement (creating a
pirate) that seems to have made a big difference not yet reflected in
those numbers, so we may yet approach your dizzy heights.

>From there we convert ~3.5% of registering players to paying customers,

so your convert to pay is also excellent. It seems that most casual MMOs
fit into this approximately 5% conversion bracket.

On Whirled we're getting much higher 'try' rates because it's Flash,
in-browser and lighter weight, so a lot more people get into the game.
Registration and conversion numbers are not yet proportionally higher,
but we're working on that!

- Daniel