[casual_games] Is Everyone going to ABANDON FLASH for UNITY3D?

Tom Higgins tom at unity3d.com
Mon Aug 30 14:25:28 EDT 2010

Sorry to be late to the game here but I was out ill last week. I'd just like
to offer some quick thoughts:

1. It's not about "abandoning" one tool for another, neither Flash nor Unity
solve all problems so keep them both in your arsenal and apply the right
tool for the job in question.

2. Unity can be used for 2D work as well as 3D, we'll be fleshing out new
features to facilitate that in the 3.x family (3.0 soon to be released!).

3. Yes, our install base penetration is in the 'few percent' range (roughly
30M installs out there now, 2-2.5M more per month being added), but we see
higher success rates than that on actual content pages. We've seen numbers
as high as 60-80%, that being the percent of people hitting a content page
that actually reach/play the content. So some have the player, many others
do not and are willing to do the install, but again they tend to be
content-motivated.

4. In the 3.0 release we're vastly improving the install experience for
Windows users (Mac work still under way but Win is still the dominant share)
to bring it to a true one-click install, lowering the barrier even more.

5. Agreed, lots to be done for anyone that feels they want to "replace
Flash", but that's not our mission statement nor our explicit goal.

Ok, just wanted to get that off my chest as a biased member of this list. :)

Tom Higgins
Product Evangelist, Unity Technologies
http://unity3d.com | Answers <http://answers.unity3d.com> •
Blogs<http://blogs.unity3d.com>
• Feedback <http://feedback.unity3d.com> • Forums<http://forum.unity3d.com>

Desk: +1 415.820.4273 | Mobile: +1 415.525.2466 | Fax: +1 888.679.7754