[casual_games] Podcast topics!

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Mon Feb 8 11:47:12 EST 2010

Topics that come to mind:

. Developer interviews: Pick a developer with a recent hit and grill
them about why/how they made the design decisions they did and what they
would change if they could (skip the normal post modem junk about what went
wrong in production. We all know it took longer than you expected and you
think you could have fixed it with better up front planning)

. iPhone game traps and pitfalls: The biggest mistakes that are easy
to make when launching a game for iPhone

. Spamming your Facebook friends: How can Facebook games get their
players to invite their friends to join in (or just make their friends aware
that they are playing). What is actually working? What is no longer allowed
by Facebook? What is allowed but not effective?

. Social networking other than Facebook: Is it worth supporting
other networks? Which ones? What tricks to you use to support multiple
networks?

. Facebook Connect: Success stories or pitfalls to avoid when
Facebook enabling mobile apps, download apps or other uses of Facebook
connect

For all of these a think it could work well to have an interviewer pulling
information out of an expert with lots of back and forth to clarify answers
and challenge assumptions. I would avoid long monologs and also avoid large
"panel" discussions. Discussion is very important. There should be lots of
back and forth. But keep it to one or two "experts" and one or two
interviewers. Try to get something short and simple working. I suggest a
goal of 20 minutes or shorter with. No need to make it perfect the first
time. Get one in the can and then integrate on the process to make the next
one better.

Thank you for working on this. I hope it really happens.